long term support release

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jan 26 19:57:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:01:58 -0600,
  Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you mean 'lack of care'?  I buy hardware based on price and
> capability, then pick an OS that will run on it.  I can't afford to do
> it the other way around.

That seems like an odd way to do things. Normally one starts with apps,
then OS, then hardware. Even for the cost conscious, the extra cost of
buying hardware that will work versus what won't is very minimal.

There are issues related to this. Finding out what hardware works can be a
pain. There are regressions, so that you can buy hardware that worked
with the current version when you bought it, that stops working (at least
for a while) with updates or worse later versions.