long term support release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 20:30:12 UTC 2008

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>> What do you mean 'lack of care'?  I buy hardware based on price and
>> capability, then pick an OS that will run on it.  I can't afford to do
>> it the other way around.
>
> That seems like an odd way to do things. Normally one starts with apps,
> then OS, then hardware. Even for the cost conscious, the extra cost of
> buying hardware that will work versus what won't is very minimal.

Most hardware these days comes with a working OS and most apps can be
built to run under all of the popular OS's.  If fedora can't run as well
or better, I just don't run fedora on it.  The OS is generally the least
interesting part of the equation.

> There are issues related to this. Finding out what hardware works can be a
> pain. There are regressions, so that you can buy hardware that worked
> with the current version when you bought it, that stops working (at least
> for a while) with updates or worse later versions.

Yes, an OS that changes every few months isn't the place to start your
long term decisions.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com