long term support release

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Jan 27 06:41:41 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 20:14 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> >> I _really_ have to believe that you haven't run fedora over any span
> >> of time across a variety of hardware
> >
> > I'm running Red Hat since Red Hat 3 or so, and then Fedora from 1. On an
> > rather wide variety of machines (Alpha, SPARC and SPARC64, i386 to i686,
> > x86_64, single/double/8x processor, ...). All the way as machines in a
> > computer lab, day-to-day workstation, and servers.
I am running Linux since its earliest days. After short periods of using
SLS and Slackware, I was using SuSE for many years. Switched over to RHL
around RH-8.0. Now Fedora, since its first days. Similar deployment
scenarios as you.

> > And yes, upgrading used to be a pain, but is is getting easier all the time.
In comparison to RHN, things have improved significantly, but ...
when switching to RH8 I had been shocked how many years behind RH's
installer had been in comparison to SuSE's :-/

[The issues with their distro had been elsewhere, otherwise I would not
have switched to RHL.]

> I'm not convinced this is a predictable trend.
Agreed. I think, there is a long term trend, nevertheless the short term
trend has a noteworthy amplitude.

>From my experience, I am inclined to consider FC7->FC8 had been swing
downwards.

Ralf