long term support release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 18:28:32 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:

>> Are you saying these desktops can't ever run on *bsd/solaris, etc.
>> kernels and libc's because they need features unique to this month's
>> linux?
>>
>>> Once upon a time (... in a galaxy far, far away) I used to build
>>> updated GNOME versions for older Red Hat Linux releases.  It wasn't
>>> easy, but it was pretty constrained to a small set of packages.
>>> These days, I'd end up needing new hal which brings in ConsoleKit
>>> which ...[1]
>
> They may needa  ConsoleKit like thing doing the permission changes to
> the devices as necessary...

I think that concept is rather bizarre anyway since I think of
permissions as being tied to who you are, not where you are. But I tend
to not use the physical console much either, doing most work via
freenx/NX with the session resumed at an assortment of locations and
client platforms.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com