F9 for Eeepc

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 03:03:50 UTC 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 10:46 AM, Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up.  I am not directly working with the Eeedora
> project.  I am really most interested in getting the most functional low
> resolution desktop as possible.  Xfce is fine, however I find that
> desktop environment a bit restrictive.  Here is the environment I am
> building/using right now on my eeepc ( by the way this is > 2GB's ).  I
> know I know, but I am more interested in functionality than space.
>
> 1)  Devilspie to better customize size and position of windows.  Overly
> large windows are still problematic and I am trying methods to fix this.
> I am thinking maybe scaling the window with a compositing manager might
> be the way to go.  Oh and some kind of gui to configure devilspie, it is
> said that one doesn't exist yet.  I am thinking angelcake would be a
> good name.

Except that it doesn't do compositing yet, I recommend XMonad for your
WM (or any other tiling window manager).  On such a small screen, it
should solve alot of difficulties you have in placing windows in a
reasonable space.  There is no gui to configure it either, but you
have the same barrier both ways.  At least this way you're not using
something as inelegant as devilspie.

-Yaakov