Request to re-add option to disable SELinux

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sat Jul 5 15:43:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 02:03:24AM +0500, Suren Karapetyan wrote:
> > That's meaningless. What percentage of those systems are running with
> > the correct choice for their system ?
> >
> That's a classic case of deciding what's best for the user instead of
> asking him...

No. That was not the question I asked. I asked what percentage of those systems
are running the correct choice for the system.

The point I'm trying to make is that most users have no idea what the correct
risk/convenience trade off is for their system. They do not have the information
or take the time to think systemically about it and make an informed decision.

You can give users all the choice in the world but if they are confronted
at install time with questions that they do not know the answer to then the
result is not choice, it is randomness and a feeling of helplessness and
embarrasment on the part of the user.

Anyone with sufficient knowledge to make the assesment (and lots without)
know how to turn it off later.

Alan