New PackageKit and gnome-packagekit in F9 soon

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 7 17:15:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 18:08 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I've built new builds of PackageKit and gnome-packagekit and moved
> them into updates-testing. The new major version is hopefully much
> better from a UI perspective and hopefully much more stable but is an
> API break from 0.1.x.
>
> The builds for F9 are here:
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=54830
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=54886
>
> Please test these packages, and report any bugs on email (reply to this
> thread please), rather than the admin update page. When we've got quite
> a bit of testing and ironed out and regressions then I'll push to
> stable.
>
> >From a speed point of view it shouldn't be a lot quicker just yet. I've
> spent most of last week profiling yum and working around different slow
> paths in the API. All this work I've been doing in git master, but I'll
> backport that to 0.2.x in good time as it's essentially the same as in
> the 0.2.x branch.
>
> For instance, the group list used to take 14 seconds on my machine, and
> now completes in less than a tenth of a second using master. If you want
> to test this new code, jump onto the packagekit mailing list and I'll
> give you instructions on how to build master.

That code is not a good idea and will go bananas when we change the db
format/version. I've implemented a searchNames() method to pkgSack in
yum which will let you search very quickly for multiple package names.

directly accessing the sqlite dbs without going through yums' layers is
going to break in odd ways. In much the same way that going directly to
the rpmdb w/o accessing it via rpm's layer will break in odd ways.

yum 3.2.17 which will be out this week will have searchNames() to help
your group case.

-sv