Announcing the Fedora EDU Spin Preview

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 20:27:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right, which is another "problem".  We _really_ want new Spins to be
> part of the release process, which means this should start at F10 if it
> wants to be an official spin.

Just to be clear, there's no hard policy in place which would prevent
spin creators to work against the current release and looking to get
it into the kickstart pool and trademark approval.. is there?

I can understand the need to get things built against the development
tree as early in the pre-release process as possible if the goal is to
have spins as part of the next release..with a hosting commitment for
binaries that comes with that.

The only significant problem here that I see is that they pushed ahead
and used non-fedora binaries in what they published.   Preview
binaries are great, because it shows that these particular Spin
developers are making their best effort to get this working and tested
so when it comes time to approve things that conversation should go
smoothly.  This could just be a matter of..education...concerning how
we expect people to go about doing this sort of pre-approval testing
and reviewing  The open question is, what is the best practices for
spins in this pre-approval testing phase and how do we make sure
people developing spins know about them.

Obviously we need to make sure such spins make use of the generic
logos. We don't want anyone out in the wild to get the idea that this
is a baked concept.  The generic logos are there specifically so we
can do preview spins like this.

The less obvious question is can we give people guidance as to what
they should call these sorts of previews in the future.  These sort of
things are going to get created, with the intent of pushing tested
versions through the approval process.

-jef