Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 18:08:49 UTC 2008

Will Woods wrote:

>>> Most of the Fedora contributors do that.
>> OK, how about I clarify that a bit.  I'm making time around my day job
>> because I can *at the moment*.  If I were to put things off to F11,
>> there is a good chance that when F11 is in development, I may be tied up
>> elsewhere.  So I really would like to move forward now, just because now
>> is when I can.
>
> A note about scheduling: We've got just over 4 weeks until F10 Feature
> Freeze and you haven't even *started*. This is a big change and it's
> going to take a lot of changes across the entire distro - I'm really
> doubtful that it could be done properly that soon.
>
> The good news is that F11 development branches in a mere 12 weeks (or
> so).
>
> I think people would have been a lot more receptive if you had been
> planning to land your changes then. Otherwise you end up hearing the
> stock Fedora response for people who want to make massively invasive
> changes without really talking to anyone first: "Yeah, that's great, let
> us know when you're done."
>
> It's not that anyone thinks these changes are a bad idea - I'm actually
> fairly excited about the possibilities here. But from what I've heard of
> the plans so far, it'd be a really bad idea to try to force it in for
> F10.

I'd argue that it would make sense to make the changes to RPM itself a
version before anything uses them.  Depending on the design of the
change, it probably wouldn't be all that difficult to make it generate a
  tarball-containing srpm as a step in the process if anyone wanted it,
but avoiding that is kind of the point.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com