Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jul 14 17:01:32 UTC 2008

Doug Ledford <dledford <at> redhat.com> writes:
> how we are not allowed to unpack a tarball,
> change the contents and then repack it back up and put it back on the
> cache under the same name.

Except we can. Our lookaside cache is explicitly designed to be robust for
things like unversioned tarballs (which some upstreams still produce) or respun
tarballs (like KDE and some other projects do). So the "sources" file stores
not only the file name, but also a checksum.

Now of course this means the original tarball is also preserved (it's still
there in the lookaside cache under the old checksum), but still this is
something to keep in mind in your redesign.

        Kevin Kofler