No answer to easy bug policy

Lyos Gemini Norezel lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 17:18:44 UTC 2008

Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 11:39 -0400, Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
>>
>>> Ya'll have mentioned the issue of maintainers drowning in bugzilla
>>> spam... and the majority of maintainers seem not to know and/or care
>>> how to filter their mail... so why not do it for them? Why not use
>>> the list of package maintainers and send a bug report only to those
>>> who are maintainers for said package? (This can be easily modified
>>> to add the list of CCs to those included in the bug report list)
>>> A.) This would cut down on the amount of bugzilla spam each
>>> maintainer has to sort through
>>> B.) This can be an option set in the users preferences that can be
>>> turned off if desired.
>>> C.) Will, likely, reduce the amount of time it takes to fix bugs.
>>>

>> I think you misunderstood the problem.  The mails that we are talking
>> about /are/ the bugzilla mails directed specifically at individuals or
>> specific mailing lists for that package.  For some maintainers/software
>> even that is far far too much, across every active Fedora/RHEL variant.
>>

> Perhaps it's the fact that I don't have any packages at the moment...
> but I receive ALL bugzilla list email. Regardless of whether or not I
> have any interest in it.
> This is what I meant in my earlier email... people are drowning in bz
> spam from bugs that aren't even theirs. Perhaps filtering most, if not
> all of that at the BZ list itself is the best way to solve this. I
> realize some people have so many packages and/or a few high traffic
> packages to begin with... but it's a start.
> Lyos Gemini Norezel

One other thing that may be a part of this issue...
I receive every bug I submit 3 times.
Once from: bugzilla at redhat.com
Once from: fedora-fonts-list at redhat.com
and Once from: fedora-package-review-bounces at redhat.com

If a developer has 100 packages... that's 300 emails he'll receive if a
bug is filed on each package. On a high traffic package... this would
quickly lead to a deluge of email. No wonder many ignore such emails. If
I got that many emails about bugs for all my packages... I'd reassign my
"Bugs" folder in Thunderbird to be '/dev/null', but that's just me.

The issue, as I see it... is too many swamped developers and not enough
time to fix issues. The bugzilla fix I propose is only a start in the
route to fixing the issues at hand. I like the idea of open ACLs meaning
the community of trusted developers can all help in fixing bugs on any
package with open ACLs. That, I suspect, will lead to a greatly reduced
list of non-fixed "EasyBugs", and, at the same time, reduce the workload
of our swamped developers.

Lyos Gemini Norezel