Using git to maintain patches [was Re: Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide]

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 17:55:24 UTC 2008

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:32 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure the learning curve will always seem incredibly steep - as
> > we figure out the best way of doing this stuff and more people become
> > comfortable with it, I'm sure that it would become just as easy a
> > methodology to pick up as tarball+patches ... which isn't exactly a walk
> > in the park the first time you do it, either, if you think back.
>
> I just want to make sure the people who end up making the new vcs
> style packaging option available to keep the transition initial
> condition in mind.  We will need a best practices document to help
> educate people to move patches over the 'right' way.

That's one of the things I'm working on.  Just as a proof of concept
prototype I'm transitioning mdadm to use git.  In the process, I'm
working on making notes about the various things that need to be done,
the general requirements that have to be met, and best practices kind of
stuff.

I should probably look at the work Jesse did on dist-git, but if he did
it the way cvs is setup, aka as non-exploded source with a look aside
cache, then it likely won't help me any.  Jesse?

>   We want that
> sort of transitional document available before this goes live for
> contributors to use. It will be much easier to re-educate people
> before they build new bad habits.  Not impossible, but we just can't
> forget to do this.

I agree.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>