Fedora 9 on ASUS EeePC 900

jeff moe at blagblagblag.org
Sun Jul 20 20:13:56 UTC 2008

Jos Vos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm investigating the issues that I can expect when I want to install
> Fedora 9 on an ASUS EeePC 900.
>
> I found some references, mainly referring to Fedora 8 and the EeePC 701,
> and I found the Fedora Wiki page <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EeePc>,
> that lists various issues.
>
> Will the wired Ethernet still not work for installing F9, for example?
>
> Any references to more detailed information are welcome.

Ethernet works with default fedora kernel with atl2 driver (well, with -libre
kernel, I presume fedora's too).

Wifi does not work, but just in the last week Nick Kossifidis got a driver
built which works (and I'm happily using):
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mickflemm/compat-wireless-2008-07-03-ath5k.tar.bz2

Note this ath5k driver does not depend on a binary HAL.

Yay Nick!  :)

This did not build for me against kernel-libre-2.6.25.10-86.fc9.1.i686 packages
but did build and work with linux-2.6.26-libre1.tar.bz2.

The driver for the camera is uvcvideo and I think is available in stock fedora
kernel and hit linus in 2.6.26 iirc.

I just install it from an external USB drive. You should be able to pxeboot it too.

I have random notes, code, scripts  etc here:

ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/developers/jebba/eee/
ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/developers/jebba/eee/FREEEEE.TXT

-Jeff

P.S. Now we just need EeePC coreboot v3  ;)