Feature Process Improvements

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Mon Jul 21 15:39:17 UTC 2008

I was recently talking with Paul Frields about how to make the feature
process more accessible... this combined with feedback in the rpm thread
have led to a (hopefully) clearer presentation of how the feature
process works.

FIRST:
Paul did a great job reorganizing the content on the main page.  None of
the content has changed, but the presentation is a lot simpler and less
overwhelming.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy

I still need to add definitions and guidance for what belongs in each
section of the form.

SECOND:
We are proposing new category names to make it more self-evident which
state a feature page is in.  Unless there are objections I plan to run
this past FESCo for a sanity check this coming Thursday and start using
them thereafter--including converting the category names for existing pages.

The new category names would look like this:

Category:FeaturePageIncomplete (was ProposedFeature)--every feature
starts in this category and returns to this category if it is reviewed
or voted on and needs more work.

Category:FeatureReadyForWrangler (was ProposedF10)--feature owner
signals that their feature page is complete and requests that FESco
review and accept it for the release under development

Category:FeatureReadyForFesco (was ProposedF10)--Feature wrangler
changes features to this category when they are ready for FESCo vote

Category:FeatureAcceptedF10 (unchanged)--voted on and accepted by fesco

A draft updated illustration is here:
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/misc/feature-process-flow-v3.2.png
Source: http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/misc/feature-process-flow-v3.2.odg

Thanks also to Paul for his ideas and help on the illustration!

John