java, possible to package the gcj aot stuff separately ?

Caolan McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Thu Jul 31 09:14:24 UTC 2008

Given that we've got openjdk on most platforms. Would it make sense to
package our java things so that the gcj ahead-of-time compiled stuff is
packaged into separate subrpms. e.g. taking hsqldb as a random example
the package takes 3696k but the aot /usr/lib/gcj/hsqldb contents takes
2928k of that and it's unused except for the java-is-gij case right ?

We typically end up with openjdk installed due to the web plugin and
then with java-1.5.0-gcj + dependencies installed due to
the /usr/bin/rebuild-gcj-db and .so requires of the java packaging
guidelines when installing any additional java package.

I'd like to e.g. have the option of just having openjdk installed and
not have to haul around the 45Megs in my /usr/lib/gcj dir

C.