java, possible to package the gcj aot stuff separately ?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Jul 31 13:55:03 UTC 2008

Just to follow up on this because I think it's interesting =)

One possible utopian future is thus:

o Modify Koji to create profile-gathering versions of some targeted
applications like Firefox; this would be a separate repository with packages
of the same name
o Have a yum plugin that allows you to replace your installed packages with
the profiler-compiled packages
o When you enable this plugin, Hotspot also goes into "dump profile
information" mode
o A new Fedora server where people can post the data from their profiled
packages and Hotspot logs
o Teach Koji to pull the data from this server and compile the software
using it

To do this it might help if we only had one code generation backend for both
GCC and Hotspot that understood how to process the profiling data - a long
term vision on that would be to move to GCC-LLVM and Hotspot's Shark work.

This infrastructure would also help us make the decision which Java software
makes sense to AOT compile versus not, rather than creating -precompiled
versions of all packages.