cdparanoia III 10 license change

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Jun 5 15:14:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 10:10 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> cdparanoia 10 is GPLv3 and LGPLv3.  This is a change from 9.8.
>
> Affected components:
>
> atropine:~% rpm -q --provides cdparanoia-libs | while read i junk ; do
> repoquery --qf="%{name}\n" --whatrequires $i ; done | sort -u
> bmpx
> cdparanoia
> cdparanoia-debuginfo
> cdparanoia-devel
> cdparanoia-libs
> grip
> gstreamer-plugins-base
> kaffeine
> kdemultimedia-libs
>
> Of these, bmpx and kdemultimedia-libs claim to be v2-only.  My reading
> of the compatibility matrix is that you can't link to a LGPLv3 library
> from GPLv2 code.

This is a correct assessment. Fortunately, bmpx had an incorrect license
tag (GPLv2) when it is actually GPLv2+. I've corrected that in rawhide.

kdemultimedia also had an incorrect license tag (GPLv2), when it is
actually GPLv2+ for the binaries, LGPLv2+ and GPLv2+ for its libraries.
Rex and I have corrected the license tags in rawhide.

There should be no problem moving forward with cdparanoia 10. :)

This is a big reason why it is important to ensure that your license
tags in the spec file are correct, it helps us to quickly identify areas
of possible license conflict.

Thanks,

~spot