many things disappeared from the wiki?

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Mon Jun 9 09:12:17 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:15:39AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
>> The wiki conversion was far from perfect or complete. I've been
>> looking at my SIG pages this weekend and they needed many manual
>> fixups (not all done despite many hours of work).
>>
>> I don't think most Fedora contributors have realised what the
>> remaining volume of wiki cleanup is.
>>

> I noticed that too. Many links have changed syntax, for example. But the
> way search is performed is not likned with edition of the wiki, but some
> kind of configuration.

The 'broken' search is not actually broken...

All new pages _should_ be created with spaces between major words (i.e.
what would have been 'CVSAdminProcedure' should now be 'CVS Admin
Procedure'), now while we can't do all that right now (cleaning up the
formatting is more important really) it's something to keep in mind
today onwards.

Also, with Mediawiki user pages SHOULD be located as User:fasname, not
RealName like moin did (redirecting the other direction just makes this
harder/more annoying), in addition any subpages RealName/* should be
moved to User:fasname/* too.

When this is done, it will have the end effect of search working
properly again.

-- Nigel
(For those that want to argue about the correct way, just look at any
other busy MediaWiki installation (wikipedia,wikia etc)