Re: /bin/mail replacement (next generation of mailx)

Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
seth vidal wrote:

Does the cli format break compat with mailx as we know it now? Ie: will
we need to fix an arse-load of  cron jobs and what not to behave?

There is an upstream's recommendation to use in scripts (including cron jobs) as "MAILRC=/dev/null mailx", whereas now it is jist "mail". I don't know whether it is for corner cases or it is an actual issue. Perhaps we should look how Suse and Slackware package this (btw, Suse had switched for a long time).

BTW, the current "mail" already reads ~/.mailrc and, depending on "-n", /etc/mail.rc . Mailx-12.x will do the same (it explains why Suse does not use any wrappers etc.). IOW, nothing worse.

~buc
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy