Proposal: bugzilla component for pre-review package development

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Sun Jun 15 23:23:42 UTC 2008

Occasionally we see a package review ticket opened for a package which
really isn't ready for review.  I'm not sure bugzilla is really best
the place for coordinating packaging work, but some seem to want to
use it for that and I don't really see it as being invalid.  Some
folks just want to drop a specfile but don't really want to stick
around to maintain the package.

Unfortunately when this happens, the "not ready for review" ticket
shows up in the review queue, extremely scarce reviewer time is
wasted on tickets that aren't reviewable, and the already huge queue
gets even bigger.  One way to deal with this is to just give these
tickets their own bugzilla component.  I'm not really sure what to
call it, though.  Maybe "Package Development", but that sounds a bit
broad.  Whatever the component is called, though, it would give these
tickets a place to go that doesn't complicate the package review
process.

 - J<