Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 16 12:42:40 UTC 2008

jeff wrote:

> Well I did hedge it with "Rahul Sundaram I think". The edit history is
> actually lost since the wiki move (which looks soooo much nicer, btw).

The old wiki is still available.

> You do know that Fedora uses and distributes proprietary software,
> right?

Fedora differentiates between different form of software as documented
within the licensing guidelines. FSF itself draws such lines.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

Certain forms of software being non modifiable is perfectly ok according
to FSF. One could argue that FSF draws the lines correctly and Fedora
does not but then it isn't merely free vs non-free anymore at that point.

>> Pissing off your best allies isn't going to achieve your goal.
>
> Well, I wasn't trying to piss you off, but I probably have now, by
> quoting you to you! sry.

I wasn't talking about me personally. I am talking about Fedora as a
whole but the point still stands. Fedora as a project has done more to
promote free software than most mainstream distributions. We aren't
perfect however and that is well known.

Rahul