Finnish spell checking packages and comps

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jun 16 22:54:39 UTC 2008

Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki <at> gmail.com> writes:
> The only exceptions to Enchant usage are openoffice.org and mozilla
> products, which is why currently separate Voikko extensions will be
> provided for them.

There's also the original KSpell interface in KDE 3 and the compatibility
K3Spell class in KDE 4. Those expect an ispell-compatible command-line
interface. It is possible to use tmispell for this purpose, and in fact I have
a patch for that already, though not applied yet, but each new spellchecker has
to be added separately (which I already did for hunspell). (Unfortunately,
enchant's command line is not usable for this purpose at all.) Changing the
code to use Enchant as a library instead of running command-line spellcheckers
would be a significant effort for that legacy code, so it is unlikely to
happen.

The future of spellchecking in KDE is of course Sonnet (which was called
KSpell2 in KDE 3), which already uses Enchant, but it will take time until all
the applications are ported, if it ever completely happens.

        Kevin Kofler