Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

jeff moe at blagblagblag.org
Fri Jun 20 14:23:25 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> jeff wrote:
>> Anders Karlsson wrote:
>>> * jeff <moe at blagblagblag.org> [20080619 23:00]:
>>> [snip]

>>> Can you provide the commit ID showing that it was Red Hat that
>>> committed it to the upstream Linux kernel source tree? I'm actually
>>> curious to have a look at that commit.
>>
>> Somewhere else in this thread, jeff wrote:
>>  > The "GPLing" of the driver (MODULE_LICENSE("GPL")) and the
>> inclusion of
>>  > a chunk of non-free code occurred in commit [1]
>>  > 2d8a9d3fd19147c808aa39ddc69a743d1c90f199.
>>  >
>>  > The commit shows David S. Miller (davem at redhat.com) and Jeff Garzik
>>  > (jgarzik at mandrakesoft.com) as authors.
>>  >
>>  > [1] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tglx/history.git
>>
>> -Jeff
>>

> Per the debian discussion on this topic at
> http://wiki.debian.org/KernelFirmwareLicensing this was fixed in this
> commit:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=49cabf49abd7676d026a61baabf5aae9337a82be;hp=9beb1d587f690d5b2f9087f8f10c0ff9f6b66886
>
> (i.e. the GPL indication removed).

But that is simply wrong. Did you go to your own URL? It doesn't remove *a
single line*. It just added (in 2005):

+ *     Derived from proprietary unpublished source code,
+ *     Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Broadcom Corporation.
+ *
+ *     Permission is hereby granted for the distribution of this firmware
+ *     data in hexadecimal or equivalent format, provided this copyright
+ *     notice is accompanying it.

-Jeff