32bit PowerPC questions.

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Jun 24 21:35:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 16:15 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> PPC32 kernel builds take _forever_ in the build system. They're slowing things
> down to such extent that I'm usually still waiting for them several hours
> after the other architectures have finished building.
>
> One way to make them slightly faster is to not build as many modules.
> Looking through the config files, there's some obvious silly stuff in there
> (I really really hope no-one found a way to put an IWL4965 in a PPC32 box).

Only the G5 (ie, 64-bit) was released with PCI-E slots.  Unless somebody
is using PCI-E on a PPC32 board that's not a Mac, or is installing
32-bit Fedora on a 64-bit G5 box, there's absolutely no way that PPC32
could coexist with the 3945 or 4965.  You'd also have to get a
PCI-E-to-ExpressCard or PCI-E-to-MiniCard carrier.

No PowerBooks ever had internal PCI-E minicard slots.  No PowerBooks
ever had ExpressCard slots.

Dan