PLEASE SHUT UP! Was: Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 08:03:38 UTC 2008

Alexandre,

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 3:21 AM, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2008, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe you could spend more time on compiler design and optimisation than
>> evangelism? This is really wearing a bit thin with hundreds of emails
>> with the same tune to this mailing list.
>
> If you'd read them, you'd know this was already discussed, and it was
> pointed out by other developers that the discussion was relevant.
> You'd also know that we've covered several different topics, starting
> with one that is hardly off-topic, sticking to some that definitely
> are, while a few others were indeed better suited for legal, and
> others for which there's no better-suited list.

Could you please make this thread die, immediately if not sooner?
Yes, you are correct that these discussions are relevant to the future
of Free Software, Open Source, Fedora, and any other label you want to
attach to the conversation.  However, this presents a few large
problems.

First, Richard Hughes is right.  This mailing list is intended for
technical discussions *only*.  I'm sure many people on this list are
more than willing to participate in such conversations, and even find
it valuable to do so, but this is the wrong place for it. Period.

Second, there are a number of other mailing lists better suited for
this discussion.  Why are you leaving those people out of the
conversation?

Third, this mailing list is highly flammable.  Bringing up the issue
*again* about how freedom is important just encourages more posts on
the same topic.  People here have had enough of the topic on this list
already.  Continuing to defend your decision to post to the wrong
mailing list is only going to drive our developers away from this
mailing list.

So please do us a favour.  Either move this conversation to another
mailing list, or just drop it and let it die.  If you want to comment
on this message, please discuss it with me off list, or if you really
honestly feel this conversation needs to be in public (and I really
don't,) there is the fedora-advisory-board mailing list.  I'm sure
they could 'advise' us both what the correct usage of a development
oriented mailing list is.

-Yaakov