kernel module options for cpufreq

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Mon Jun 30 16:30:36 UTC 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008 05:54:32 am Richard Hughes wrote:
> Right, cheers for your feedback. In view of everybodies comments, what
> about the following:
>
> * Compile _into_ the kernel ondemand, performance, powersave and
> userspace.

Sounds reasonable.

> * Default to performance in the kernel rather than userspace

What's the difference? Both leave the cpu at its max speed all the time,
unless the cpuspeed daemon gets started up in the userspace case.

> * Build as a module conservative with the view of just fixing ondemand
> if there are any special use-cases that conservative is better at
> * Export the P and C state latency to userspace and let the system
> policy dictate the governor. For instance, even for machines that have a
> long latency for changing P states should be able to use ondemand if we
> want to save maximum power.
>
> How does that sound?

Mostly sane. System policy dictating governor over the ugliness we do in the
cpuspeed init script would be nice. Even nicer would be if we could outright
get rid of the initscript (not sure what people who need the cpuspeed daemon
are to do in that case though).

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com