spec file changes: removing Release: and %changelog

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Mar 6 09:15:51 UTC 2008

> Colin Walters <walters <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > I actually started translating some spec files into a new build system
> > to solve other problems that Fedora has like rampant copy+paste of
> > scriptlets, etc.  You can see some examples of my thoughts here:
> >
> > A simple one:
> > http://cdn.verbum.org/hotwire.py
> > A lot more complex:
> > http://cdn.verbum.org/hal.py

This is atrocious and quite worse than the XML spec variant that was
kicked out of rpm recently.

If you're going to rewrite the spec syntax I'll ask that:

1. this new syntax is discussed and supported at rpm.org level not at
the Fedora rpm build tool level (ie not a template used to generate
something else à la sendmail, scrollkeeper, etc but the real thing)

2. It's not so obviously welded to a particular computing language, but
is a real descriptive syntax (this bit the xml spec guys had at least
gotten right)

3. this rewrite is the occasion of fixing long-standing problems in spec
syntax such as grouping declaration, disttags/alphatag support, version
range support,clear encoding rules [insert your pet spec peeve there].
And not just an xml-ization, python-ification or whatever of the
existing pile of cruft (haven't you learned nothing from the OOXML
debacle?)

In short this looks awfully like a short-term win for the build tools
and a long-term PITA for everyone else.

--
Nicolas Mailhot