120MB bootstrap only?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 20:15:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 11:57 -0800, John Reiser wrote:
> There is a HUGE difference in size.
> The old boot.iso    was about   10MB.
> The new netinst.iso is  about  121MB  due to including stage2.img.
>
> I personally have 4 flash memory devices (16MB, 32MB, 64MB*2)
> which I have used in the last year to initiate Fedora installs,
> which will be obsoleted by this change.  Is PXE the only
> small bootstrap method that remains?

The kernel and initrd are still present and can be used to bootstrap the
install.  We're just not distributing ready-made images.  But what you
have to do (basically) is
1) Copy contents of isolinux directory in iso to USB stick
2) mv isolinux.cfg syslinux.cfg
3) Run syslinux against the stick

Jeremy