Re: default partition scheme without /home - why ?

2008/3/10 Jesse Keating <jkeating redhat com>:
> On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 13:34 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>  > Is that on purpose and if it why?
>
>  Guessing how much space you'll need in your non /home partitions over
>  time is difficult.  Only you know how your install will be used.  That's
>  why the installer defaults to the easiest thing to guess;  How much boot
>  space you'll need, and how much swap space.  However since you know how
>  your install is going to be used, you are best to make those estimations
>  and setup your /home as you want it.
>
>  --
>  Jesse Keating
>  Fedora -- All my bits are free, are yours?

Fedora Live CD target audience are desktop users, right? I as a
desktop user haven't seen any need for / partiton over 8-10 GB.
Servers, and other fedora usages may need some other partition schemes
but a default home user has huge benefits from a dedicated /home
partition.

It is probable that new users aren't aware that /home partition as a
dedicated partition has advantages and it would be best if anaconda
makes the "smart" partition scheme in which /home is a separate
partition in LVM volume, or a logical partition. Separate home has
lots of advantages that you are aware of, so why not just change the
partition scheme to take advantage of that?

Cheers,
Valent.
.

--