F8 kernel-2.6.24.3-12.fc8

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:46:05 UTC 2008

Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> On 03/09/2008 07:07 PM, David Boles wrote:
>> Callum Lerwick wrote:
>>> I think you missed the point that this is just as painful for Joe Fedora
>>> Developer and CS Major as it is Aunt Tillie.
>>
>> "just as painful?" Do you mean the error or that "Joe Fedora Developer"
>> does not know enough to press a key and select the other kernel to boot? I
>> have often wondered why Fedora chooses to hide the other kernel. Maybe
>> "Aunt Tillie", with a little help, could see that 'kernel A' does not
>> work. Hmm... so maybe I should try 'kernel B'.
>>

> The first thing I do after installing Fedora is remove the "hiddenmenu"
> line in /etc/grub.conf... why _is_ that the default, anyway??

Good question.  I think its a terrible idea to hide the menu, and I've posted to
at least 5 forum questions where the user simply didn't realize pushing a button
at the hidden menu would let them see their windows install... "omg Fedora
install does not let me boot windows".

A pretty menu, but at what cost?