default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Mar 10 22:40:34 UTC 2008

On 2008/03/10 17:25 (GMT-0500) Les Mikesell apparently typed:

> Duane Clark wrote:

>> Felix Miata wrote:

>>> I think most users of disks more than a little under 20G would ultimately be
>>> unhappy with that. I think I'd skip separate /home if HD size less than 19G.
>>> So, something like this:

>>> less than 19G -> up to 1G swap, balance /
>>> 19G-35G -> 8G /, up to 2G swap, balance /home
>>> more than 35G -> 12G /, up to 4G swap, balance /home

>> I would go way beyond that. Don't users install additional applications?
>> I have more than 30GB of applications installed, though I will admit
>> that is probably far from typical. I think for under 80GB of space, it
>> should be a single partition. Over that, if you are going to go for this
>> crazy scheme ;), make / at least 20G.

> I'd split at around 40G, with 20 for /.

20G is about 5 times the max usage of any of my 50 or so / partitions. I
don't think average users with separate homes need even 10G for /, and the
rest of the users know what they need and will custom partition regardless of
any default proposal. Maybe add a 4th level with 80G+ disks given 20G for /.
--
"Let us not love with words or in talk only.
Let us love by what we do." 1 John 3:18 NLV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409