Beecrypt retired

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 17:18:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 07:42:10AM -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
>  >
>  > What is different about this is that the package in question is crypto
>  > related. There are export restrictions and a lot of tracking associated with
>  > it. If you leave it in the distribution, eventually someone will base their
>  > new project off of it and all the work we did to remove it is all for
>  > nothing.
>  >
>  > Let the package die.
>
>  I don't really understand the the export restriction issue. But 'all the
>  work we did to remove it' should not bind packagers that don't have the
>  same agenda.

Fedora as an entity of Red Hat is restricted by the rules and
regulations of the United States. That includes certain export
restrictions that require regular reporting and ok from US agencies in
charge of Encryption. Similar regulations exist in other countries in
Europe (France, Russia,  and Germany I think, but those regulation may
have gone away or not as enforced) and Asia. So every package that
contains encryption has to be registered and gotten at least a token
approval before it can be shipped, updated, etc.