Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Alexander Boström abo at kth.se
Fri Mar 14 09:30:35 UTC 2008

tor 2008-03-13 klockan 09:41 -0500 skrev Toshio Kuratomi:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > Transliterate/translate them to ASCII.
> >
> This is a proposal I am strongly -1 to.

Ok, then allow the full Unicode range in Name:.

But a decision needs to be made. Should it be possible to do all command
line system management with only knowledge of the basic latin character
set? Or even: Should it be possible to do all command line system
management with _no_ knowledge if the latin character set? (That would
mean transliterating "yum" and "ls".)

Probably the answers are "yes" and "uhm, perhaps if someone figures out
how".

Then the output of the command line tools (rpm -q, yum list, ls *.rpm
etc.) needs to be such that everyone who can type the command can also
manually copy the output from the screen to the keyboard. The command
can of course show several names, at the same time or using different
options.

So you still need to provide those ASCII names somehow. The only
alternatives to transliteration I can see are serial numbers of some
kind, lots of '\xxx' in strings or punycode (xn-collier-fonts-9gb).

/abo