Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Wed Mar 19 12:48:26 UTC 2008

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 08:46:18PM +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:
>
>> CLI users should already know how to deal with characters they can't
>> type. It isn't that hard to use wildcards or copy-paste.
>>

> I can't use copy-paste on my Volker-Craig VC 4404!
>
>   http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/tty/index.htm

Looks sarcasmish a little...

Actually, there are servers without VGA card at all. Sometimes ago Linux
began to support "serial console" (and even Grub supports it fine). For
such servers, a vt220-compatible dumb terminals (normally) used as a
console. (Certainly, these terminals are a little more modern than in
the link above :) )

It is not a corner case -- at list in my country, it is used wide enough
in production environments (where the hard console MUST be in the server
room etc.)

Besides that, CLI is very useful in remote administration, i.e. via ssh.
Having a rest on a beach, I can operatively correct issues at my site
using my mobile communicator with ssh client. (Certainly I know CLI
fine, since 1992 :) ). Consider now, whether such is possible in the
GUI-only world?

~buc