Fedora 9 Beta, PackageKit and system-config-printer

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 22:47:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 17:30 -0400, Robin Norwood wrote:
> I don't think we want to just put up a UI where you can edit the
> various fields that are allowed in a repo config.  As far as I know,
> the three biggest use cases are:
>
> o User installs an rpm that deploys a .repo file into /etc/yum.repos.d
>   - This is pretty good.  The .repo file itself is managed by rpm.

Personally I like this approach as the rpm normally also installs the
gpg key needed for this.

> o User downloads a repo file and saves it to /etc/yum.repos.d
>   - This is ok, but the user has to save the file as root.  Maybe if
> the repo had a mime type that firefox could recognize, and send the
> file to PK to deal with?  I don't know if this is a common enough use
> case, or something that we want to encourage.

I don't this we want to be saying to random user to put random files as
root on their filesystem. A utopia-repo.rpm type rpm is 5 minutes work
max.

> o The sysadmin deploys .repo files to a bunch of systems using puppet,
> or some other config management tool
>   - This is fine, too.  PK lets you enable/disable these locally if
> needed.

Sure the other problem is with the abstraction. As soon as we add repos
(removing is easy) then we start having to deal with mirrorlists and
excludes and that sort of thing which is very difficult to abstract.

IMO, the sort of user editing repo files isn't the sort of person who
should need a GUI tool...

Richard.