Suggestion Next Release

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek jakub.rusinek at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 19:19:57 UTC 2008

Dnia 22-03-2008, sob o godzinie 13:42 -0500, Diego Escobar pisze:

> Hi.
>
> First, thank you for your responses. I understand about legal issues
> including some packages or repositories on Fedora. And I understand
> why Livna is not included. (Because is not official as others parts).
> But for most part of people is mandatory to have those packages. So,
> trying to do easy for the final user can we do our official
> "community" repository? Can we do our official "Fedora Frog" to
> simplify the installation for common programas? (I believe there are
> no problem because most part of that sofware can ba downloaded without
> problems by the user).

You don't understand. We can't make Livna/RPM Fusion official, because
of legal issues. And stop here. It's IMPOSSIBLE.

Fedora protects us from any problems with patents by removing
nonfreeness from repos.

That's why Livna exists. It provides us the packages we want, but Fedora
simply can't include.

Unofficial packages can land in Fedora, but Fedora Frog allows mostly
doing things, which Fedora protects us from.

> Also, I will response some things:
>
>      1. Yum is working good... but if it could be faster...(Especially
>         solving dependencies) nobody will unhappy.

It's true, so work upstream :P .

>      1. I m understand too, the space problems on LiveCD. But how can
>         the other distros to include that software by default?

Because of other compromises.

>      1. Abirwod and Gnumeric are nice, but we are talking about do
>         Fedora competitive and OpenOffice is the way. Users needs a
>         suite as powerful as Microsoft Office.

And you're sure that EVERYONE needs such functionality?

>      1. Talking about Yumex and Pirut, I think that Pirut needs a new
>         face. (Check other distros). By other side, I dont know why,
>         but Yumex works faster than Pirut and provides a face similar
>         to Synaptic.

Pirut can have new face, but it will be replaced by PackageKit. Did you
read my e-mail?

Yumex is complete different from Synaptic. Don't know where you get such
"association" from.

> Thanks to Igor Pires for the idea of Spin. If the only way is create a
> spin, I will so interested working on that for Colombia.
>
> Please, consider this as a "suggestion" thinking in final users. They
> are no interested in "official, unofficial" and they are no interested
> in read "how to enable repositories", They wants a S.O. ready and
> complete for the PC.

Read Fedora's description if you still understand.

"Best free and open source software"

BTW, Happy Easter.

--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek