kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 11:35:43 UTC 2008

* David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> [20080324 11:32]:

> ¹ Of course, there's then the question of whether the Fedora
> distribution itself is a coherent whole, or whether it's "mere
> aggregation on a storage medium". Which is especially interesting since
> we explicitly copyright the distribution as a collective work, which
> might seem to place it _firmly_ in the former category. But I think we
> all prefer not to think about that one too hard. And at least it is a
> bit less far-fetched to call it 'mere aggregation' than it is in the
> case of stuff we include directly in the kernel.

I do not understand this.. On one hand there is the militant
"everything is either black or white" attitude, akin to "You're either
with us, or against us". Then as soon as that seems to pinch a bit,
it's down to cherry-picking what suits - because realisation sinks in
that if you take too hardline a stance, you end up with something that
is not very useful.

The end goal should be 100% Free - but while you work to get there,
don't alienate your userbase in the process. And if you are going to
have a "everything is either black or white" attitude, at least be
consistent about it.

/Anders