kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 08:25:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 03:13:12AM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> > (paging, update ease of use, and just clarifying licence vagueness) but
> > trying to create an incentive to make vendors produce unhackable hardware
> > is not one of them to my mind.
>
> Straw man.  I'm not trying to create any such incentive.

But you are creating that incentive. Think about the bigger picture and
you might actually get things to happen in the way you desire.

> cares for its stated mission.  But one step at a time.  First, we need
> a 100% Free kernel in Fedora.

For Free read useless. It was those kind of narrow views that left the
free software movement so irrelevant for so many years. More sensible
approaches like kernel-firmware.rpm work better.

I also found it amusing last time I looked that the free software extremists
were removing firmware which wasn't code, removing firmware which you'd
write in hex anyway etc.

Alan