kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 18:45:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 02:21:36PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> I'm running the kernels I posted on my main home server and at the
> laptop from which I'm typing this message.  A single counter-example
> should be enough to disprove this statement, but I got two.

For which you are no more free. Your firmware just happens to be burned
into the box so you cannot change it.

> Next, people would start talking about 'pragmatism', because that's a
> favorite argument of certain people to oppose principled approaches,
> as if being pragmatic didn't embed the very notion of working towards
> a certain goal (often a different one) and within certain principles.

You work on compilers. What is the FSF position on free software for
non free interpreters ? Now tell me how this relates to say CPU microcode.

Tell me why the FSF GPL excluded libraries normally shipped with the OS for
dependancies that must be shipped

Tell me why the FSF made the GPL permit free software that could only be used
on a non free OS.

Would that be .. umm pragmatism ?

Alan