kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 21:54:55 UTC 2008

> There's a fundamental ethical difference that I've already explained
> but you seem to be unwilling to acknowledge, let alone understand.
> This is where I stop taking part in arguing this point with you.

I think we disagree because I'm looking at the whole systems question
of how to get Linux and free software to work (and I think that is why
the FSF was pragmatic about its licencing too)

> 1. Free Software for non-Free interpreters is acceptable: someone could
> create a Free interpreter and then anyone could use both in freedom.

So you don't oppose us shipping microcode updates then ?

#2 is my argument for the firmware essentially - and I'm definitely in
favour of it being a separate package to the kernel so people know which
is which.

There are still hard cases where the microcode/firmware really is just
hex or tables.

Alan