disk devices in F9 interchanged

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Wed Mar 26 13:23:05 UTC 2008

Joachim Backes wrote:
> I my actual F8, I have 2 disk devices: One Sata-Disk: /dev/sda, and 1
> IDE-Disk: /dev/sdb.
> But in F9 Beta, these two disks seem to be interchanged (/dev/sda <-->
> /dev/sdb). Is this true, and if yes, why?

Device names are by definition somewhat arbitrary and should never be
relied upon. For example, if you boot your system with an USB key
plugged-in, the kernel might very well decide to assign /dev/sda to the
USB key, shifting all other device names by one letter.

Mounting by label is a good alternative, but you can also mount disks by
ID or UUID (using /dev/disk/by-*/ device names).