disk devices in F9 interchanged

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:00:54 UTC 2008

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> Joachim Backes wrote:
>> I my actual F8, I have 2 disk devices: One Sata-Disk: /dev/sda, and 1
>> IDE-Disk: /dev/sdb.
>> But in F9 Beta, these two disks seem to be interchanged (/dev/sda <-->
>> /dev/sdb). Is this true, and if yes, why?
>>
>> Regards
>>
> Should drive detection change from alpha to beta? Does it really make
> any differnce?
>
> F9 Beta changed my drive sequence from 360GB ide (sda) + 3 160GB satas
> (sdb..d) to 3 160GB satas (sda..c) + 360GB ide (sdd).  Since I use LVs
> and labels, the only issue was the bios boot sequence which anaconda
> ignored and I fixed during boot configuration during install.
>
> F9 alpha, F8, unity and centos all saw the drive sequences the same and
> bios boot sequence was correct.

F9 beta should not have changed anything at all to do with your bios boot
sequence... did you not install the bootloader to your MBR but instead to
your partition?  The change in order once the kernel is loaded is easily
understandable, but it should not effect how your machine reacts prior to
the kernel loading.