proposal: add -Werror-implicit-function-declaration to the default optflags

Lubomir Kundrak lkundrak at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 23:16:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 22:03 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a new thread spawning from the "3.6% of heads up: Please correct your
> #includes or optflags use" thread.
>
> I would like to propose to add "-Werror-implicit-function-declaration" to the
> default optflags. Why? Because missing prototypes can cause all sorts of problems:

You're not the first one with this idea. It's inevitable that this will
happen at some time. But, as was expressed in some other place of this
thread this needs some effort before it's done. It's going to break a
big part of distribution (far more than 3.6%) if it's done now, and
would need serious effort to be done.

So, why not create a wiki page, plan how to make this harm the least it
can (limit the number of packages affected by calling for changes before
the rule is enforced), and get it through packaging commitee (or
fesco?).