Some things to focus testing on for F9Beta

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 23:54:00 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 18:21 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> [cross-posted from fedora-test-list - any devs who have suggestions for
> other things that need attention, *please* speak up.]
>
> Fedora 9 will have a lot of new and exciting things. Naturally, we want
> those things to be stable and well-polished for the final release.
>
> With that in mind, here's a list of things that deserve especially close
> attention.

With respect to PackageKit, please test it, and please also update to
the 0.1.10 version that is going to be released on Friday and should
appear in rawhide at the same time. We have worked really hard on
smoothing some of the rough edges, it should be much better.

With respect to evdev, it is gone again for keyboards, since it didn't
work out.

Other things that could benefit from some testing attention:

gvfs. Test it by excercising various filesystems and mounts, in
particular (but not only) network filesystems, shared folders,
bookmarks. Both in nautilus and the filechooser. Other areas of
interest: handling of removable media, automounting, and mime types.

gdm. Areas of interest for testing this: reliability - does gdm always
come back, no matter how you end your session or kill the X server ?
lockdown - we run some 'ordinary' applications on the login screen, such
as gnome-power-manager and metacity. The are locked down in various
ways, and it would be good to know if that is successful - eg it would
be bad if someone were able to run a web browser on the login screen.

Matthias