few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 27 01:19:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 16:38 -0700, Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 16:32 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
> > Nah.. why take the simple way. In fact.. why have /bin and /usr/bin..
> > no one who counts really uses them as seperate things? We should just
> > have everything in one or the other. I mean put everything in /bin
> > that is executable. Create a /share and we don't really need /usr
> > anymore either.
>
> Since nobody else has played the standards cop >;) ...
>
> RedHat is LSB compliant.  LSB requires FHS compliance.  FHS dictates
> where stuff goes.  I suppose you could submit a patch upstream ;)

FHS compliance mandates that /sbin and /usr/sbin exist and that specific
files exist in each. You can comply with the FHS by having symlinks for
those specific files. Also - being FHS and LSB compliant is not
mandatory. Providing a single rpm which provided FHS-compliance would be
fairly trivial.

-sv