F9 Beta release announcement

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 03:17:10 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 06:40:38 pm Mark wrote:

> >  M> But one question: Why are all the fonts so hugely sized?
> >
> >  Probably because it's following the preferences of whoever happened to
> >  be taking the screenshots.  Or have you never encountered a user with
> >  poor vision who increases their font size?
>
> Yes i did encounter those
>
> 2008/3/26, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:
> > Or maybe whoever took the screens have a nice higher-pixel-density
> >  screen than Mark.
>
> You do know that your talking completely nonsence now right?
> it could be possible with settings that you are mislead by the size in
> combination with the screen but that's not the case with images.

Sorry, but you're the one that is incorrect. :)

Until I was pointed at a certain setting in the Appearance Preferences, I got
VERY different font sizes with the exact same resolution depending on if my
laptop was booted on or off my docking station, which has a display hooked up
to it that mirror's my laptop's display. The laptop's display and the display
hooked to my docking station are both 1680x1050 resolution, but one is 15.4",
the other is 20". Gnome scales fonts based on dots per inch, and when docked,
the external monitor won.

System -> Preferences -> Look and Feel -> Appearance -> Fonts tab, Details...
button -> Resolution: X dots per inch.

If you don't set something specifically there, Gnome guesses on the fly. I
opted to tweak the value so my fonts are the same size now, no matter which
way the laptop is booted (thank you, ajax, you're my hero ;).

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com