Label and mount point different

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Sun Mar 30 00:50:54 UTC 2008

> The label for F9 is practically irrelevant since anaconda installs using
> UUID in  /etc/fstab now.

Appropriate documentation is *NEVER* irrelevant, and using labels as
documentation is one very valid operational technique.  A good label
can add redundancy, speed identification and understanding, and reduce
the chances for making expensive mistakes.

> ... the answer has been that partition ordering on disk is no
> longer a very crucial thing to configure manually.

It's still crucial for Rescue mode (the root partition of the System
to Rescue is chosen from a list containing items such as "sda3, <label>")
and for interoperability with other OS, including all previous Fedora.
Twice already I've had to use Rescue mode on Fedora 9 Beta installations
because of installation mishaps.  Trying to select the right partition by
UUID _only_ would be a usability disaster for Rescue mode.  The list of
UUIDs would have to be recorded in advance, etc.  Rescue Mode is one place
where good labels really shine.