Too many default services on

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Mon Mar 31 14:57:16 UTC 2008

John Dennis wrote:
> Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
>> There does not seemed to be any rule to whats enabled and what's not.
>> Package maintainer's and or developers seem to decide for them self
>> whether service
>> is enabled/disabled by default.
>
> My understanding is rpm's which install a service do *not* start the
> service in %post via chkconfig for all the reasons cited in the thread
> (i.e. the sys admin or owner decides what should be running, how it's
> configured,e etc. merely installing an rpm should not start a hidden
> service). There are a minority of exceptions, services which must run to
> make the system usable, these are well known. It is permissible to
> perform a condrestart in %post, but this is just respecting the existing
> configuration on the box.
>
> These are the guidelines as I've always understood them. I wonder if
> part of the problem lies in the new LSB blocks which have been added to
> many initscripts without a complete understanding of what some of the
> boilerplate actually does, e.g. Default-Start.

Well, Default-Start and chkconfig lines should only contain runlevels, where this service *really* has to be
on per *default*. chkconfig --add will turn those services *on*, and they *will* start on the next reboot, if
a service has runlevels in Default-Start or chkconfig.

So, if a service does not need to be started after package installation (next reboot), do not add runlevels
either in chkconfig nor in Default-Start!