Multilib Middle-Ground

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu May 1 16:02:06 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I don't understand why anyone would have any interest in an operating
> system that can only run its own programs.  Aside from the obvious
> limitations since no one could seriously expect it to include all
> possibilities, it has to be an enormous waste of effort to build the
> specialized versions and package them in repositories that few people
> will use anyway.

Yet that's exactly what's supposed to happen. Software should be packaged for
Fedora, and rebuilt whenever necessary (which is not necessarily every single
Fedora release, it really depends on what libraries the package uses). Free
Software makes it easy because anyone interested in using the package on Fedora
can package it, not just upstream. It's the proprietary stuff which you aren't
allowed to redistribute and repackage which causes all the problems.

        Kevin Kofler