Fedora and JPackage proprietary JDK shims

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sat May 3 02:05:37 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 17:01 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Colin Walters wrote:
> > Bottom line - should Fedora ship the proprietary JDK shim?  I don't
> > think it's worth the user confusion over just telling people to go to
> > JPackage, but if someone stepped up, did the work, and submitted it
> > and was going to maintain/own it, it might happen.
> >

> If "proprietary JDK shim" is the nosrc.rpm for the proprietary JDK's I
> don't think it should go into Fedora.

Not sure, but I bet the "shim" is the java-sun-compat package that lets
you install the Sun RPM, then sets up alternatives and other symlinks to
make the expected incantations work.  That is not a nosrc package,
though it may have no actual source.  It depends on the Sun RPM from
java.sun.com.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences